Sweets

Nordic Chocolate Cake

September 21, 2014

Mikkel and I met a little over 8 years ago at a small music festival. I remember our first concert together. Even though I’m not that big of a fan of the band anymore, I can’t stop smiling when I hear their songs. Especially the one where Mikkel stepped up and kissed me for the first time! We’ve definitely had better concerts (and kisses) since then, but I remember feeling like I was flying that night. Two years later we officially started dating and our relationship has been an amazing journey ever since. When I think back, we have both evolved a lot. Together, luckily. For example, I would never had thought we would start this blog together, if you had asked me 8 years ago.
Anyway, here we are, blogging away about whole foods, vegan recipes, delicious desserts, and whatever our hearts desire. Like this Scandinavian-style chocolate cake. The combination of liquorice and chocolate is originally an Icelandic tradition. But during the past years liquorice has found its way into many Danish sweets and desserts (and our hearts). We are celebrating this tradition in this gluten-free chocolate cake covered in a chocolate and liquorice ganache.

nordic-chocolate-cake-and-eggs nordic-chocolate-cake-2029 nordic-chocolate-cake-2064 nordic-chocolate-cake-2091

Nordic Chocolate Cake

(Makes 8 servings)

100 g 70 % dark chocolate
1/2 cup / 125 ml coldpressed rapeseed or olive oil
4 eggs, separated
100 g coconut sugar or unrefined cane sugar
1 cup / 250 ml walnuts, ground to flour + 1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup / 60 ml / 35 g buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 cup / 120 ml almond milk (or another kind of your choice)

Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 200 C.

Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.

Separate the eggs into two medium bowls. Whisk together egg yolks, coconut sugar, almond milk, and vanilla to a batter.

In a small saucepan melt chocolate and rapeseed oil at very low heat. Alternatively melt over a water bath.

Let it cool for a moment before you add the melted chocolate and rapeseed oil to the batter. Whisk together. Combine walnut flour, corn starch, buckwheat flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl and add to the batter. Using a hand held mixer, whip the egg whites until they are stiff. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites until it’s completely combined.

Scrape the batter into the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes. Prepare the ganache while the cake is cooling down (recipe below).

Serve the cake with fresh berries, and perhaps a dollop of Turkish or Greek yoghurt.

Chocolate and Liquorice Ganache

80 g 70 % dark chocolate
6 tbsp almond milk
1 tsp liquorice powder

Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan melt a very low heat whisking regularly until completely smooth.

Pour the ganache over the cake.

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

• Reply The Naked FIg September 22, 2014 at 11:39 am

This cake is absolutely stunning! I can’t wait to try it.

• Reply Feline September 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

Hej Mikkel og Camilla.Hvilken slags lakridspulver har I benyttet jer af, og fra hvilket mærke?
    Mvh. Feline

• Reply Camilla September 23, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hej Feline,
      Vi har brugt Johan Bülows “Raw Liquorice Powder” 🙂

Kh Camilla

• Reply Ksenia @ At the Immigrant's Table September 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous video, site, and photographs! I am completely enamoured. Though I am not personally a liquorice fan (it never made its way into Russian cuisine!), I love learning about the role it plays in Scandinavian (and now Danish) desserts. Thank you!

• Reply Valya @ Valya's Taste of Home says September 30, 2014 at 6:59 am

Looks good! Love chocolate!!!

• Reply Ingrid October 5, 2014 at 12:18 am

WOW, this is something that I will definitely make. So beautiful, and I look forward to the choco-liquorice combo! A question: where did you get those beautiful bowl? Are they perhaps for sale somewhere online? Thanks!

• Reply Blueberry Tales October 5, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Ingrid,Thanks a lot! The bowls are from Danish ceramics K.H. Würtz. Their website is khwurtz.dk. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to sell online, so you might have to come visit us in Copenhagen to pick some bowls up from the small interiour shop, H. Skjalm P 🙂

Best,
      Camilla & Mikkel

• Reply Bente October 9, 2014 at 1:11 pm

HejJeg er i tvivl om hvad corn starte er. Når jeg slår det op er det majsstivelse. Men det er så vidt jeg ved Maizena, eller.? Kan jeg bruge fukdkornsmajsmel, jeg vil helst lave den økologisk.
    Vh Bente

• Reply Blueberry Tales October 9, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hej Bente!Du har helt ret – ‘corn starch’ (majsstivelse) er det samme som Maizena 🙂 Camilla har købt økologisk majsstivelse til kagen i en helsekostbutik. Alternativt kan majsstivelsen erstattes med økologisk pilerodsstivelse (‘arrowroot’), som også kan findes i helsekostbutikker. Da der i denne opskrift er brugt nøddemel, er det vigtigt at bruge ‘ren’ stivelse for at give kagen lethed og struktur. Fuldkornsmajsmel er ikke som sådan ‘ren’ stivelse, og du kan derfor muligvis risikere, at den færdige kage bliver meget ‘tung’.

God bagelyst 🙂

Mvh
      Mikkel

• Reply ashley o. November 4, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Thank you for stopping by my blog, thank you even more for leaving a comment! You should totally try the pumpkin bread recipe I posted….it is quite delicious! I love the recipes you post here, even more so because I am Scandinavian, but I just dont have access to too many recipes here, but you seem to have a lot and it reminds me so much of my grandmother whose family is from Norway……I will be checking back often! This cake featured looks insanely good! ~Ashley

• Reply teffysperkst January 24, 2015 at 6:32 am

That looks amazing!!I’ve never used walnuts as a flour base as I always use almond, but it has now clicked how delicious walnuts can be!

{Teffy’s Perks} X

• Reply Blueberry Tales January 24, 2015 at 9:17 am

Thanks, Teffy 🙂 You should definitely try using walnuts, too. They make the cake really moist.Camilla x